April brings with it the month of Autism Awareness. This gives us the opportunity to be creative and energetic in bringing forth more knowledge and information to society regarding Autism. With Autism affecting more and more children and families each year, it is important that people stand together and advocate a way forward for these individuals.
Take a look at the following events. Perhaps you may be able help, perhaps you may want to join in or perhaps you may want to forward the information onto your family, friends and colleagues.
“Light it Up Blue” Campaign
To commemorate World Autism Awareness Day on the 2nd April, Autism South Africa and Autism Speaks are inviting all companies and landmarks around South Africa to put blue filter on their external security lights or change the bulbs in prominent internal light to blue for the evenings of 2,3,4 & 5 April 2012.
Click here to download the corporate participation information.
Other Ideas to “Light it up Blue”
- Use blue bulbs or filters on external lighting for 2nd April (maybe leave till the 5th?)
- Wear blue clothing on the 2nd and encourage work colleagues, family and friends to do the same
- Encourage your local schools to participate in casual blue civvies day on the 13th April 2012. Click here to download the participation information.
- Take fun and “autism-promoting” Light It Up Blue photos and send them to Autism South Africa (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ask at work, your place of worship, your child’s school, clients, friends and family in other work venues etc, whether they would arrange for the building to Light It Up Blue
- Change your Facebook profile picture to the Light It Up Blue logo and tag at least 10 of your friends.
- Update your Facebook status to read “Light it up blue to shine a light on autism.”
- Add the Light It Up Blue logo to your e-mail signature throughout the month of April.
THE BIG AUTISM THING
This year, to help raise funds and autism awareness a group of people are putting on their, hopefully comfy, walking shoes and doing the big walk from Durban through to Capetown.
This big walk starts on the 31st March and is estimated to end on the 9th June.
The walk is along the coast line and goes through the different towns and cities along the way.
If you are not too keen on joining in the incredibly long journey, then you can be like me, and join in the walk when it reaches your area. I will be out there at the start of the walk in Durban which consists of the first 24 Km’s to Amamzimtoti.
For more information go to www.thebigautismthing.co.za
So I invite you all; parents, children, schools, businesses, families…. to join the campaign. Let’s all stand together to create a great movement in changing the futures of children with Autism.
Share this link out to your friends, family and colleagues, put on your walking shoes, wear your blue clothes, make a donation, light it up blue or hey you could even spray your hair blue. But lets all just do something; no matter how small or how big IT ALL COUNTS !!
From My Heart to Yours